Skip to main content

A day before my oath ceremony I got a call not to attend the swear-in for Naturalization.

Los Angeles, CA |

A day before my oat ceremony, I got a call from a field officer saying I should not attend the ceremony. He said they will send me a letter, explaining why, which they did. It turns out that though I was married for 4 years to my ex wife, she divorced me six month prior to my permanent resident card arriving in the mail (at the time of divorce i wasnt aware she had divorcec me) So at the time my card arrived in the mail I was no longer married, though I wasn't aware. I have had my green card for seven years now and at a risk of loosing it.

Married in 2001, filed residency 2001, I had to file an I-601 waiver in 2004, July 2005 she had divorced me, February of 2006 my permanent resident card was granted. Now i am told my PR card was granted in error, 7 years later. What can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Meet in private with an attorney. They may be starting removal proceedings, in an attempt to deport you.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.



Yes. I'm searching for the best suitable one. I do have a previous lawyer. I need to turn in my divorce degree in a few days - this was their request in the back up letter.



I meant "decree"

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III


There are many good immigration lawyers in LA .... I suggest you start by contacting two or three that are on Avvo.


I agree with attorney Capriotti. You need to meet with an immigration attorney before this thing escalates.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Complex fact situation. Schedule a consultation with an experienced deportation defense attorney.

You will soon be placed under removal proceedings.

Why do you need to retain the best deportation attorney possible?

Because the government will be represented by an attorney who has probably appeared in hundreds, or even thousands, of such hearings. (I know – I served as an INS Trial Attorney until 1982.) If your attorney is not knowledgeable or is inexperienced, you will be at a distinct disadvantage.

Too many people appear at their deportation hearings without taking the time to find the best and most experienced immigration attorney to represent them. Instead, they look for an inexpensive attorney or, worse yet, appear without an attorney. This is a recipe for disaster. Why? Because you are creating a record before the Immigration Judge. If you lose, and then hire a new and improved attorney to appeal the Judge’s decision, he will be saddled with the record of proceedings that you, or your inexpensive attorney, created before the Judge.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.



Why will all that be necessary though-deportation and all. My residency card has been valid for seven years. I have travelled back and forth with no immigration problem at the airport. I pay my taxes.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer