A day before my oath ceremony I got a call not to attend the swear-in for Naturalization.

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

A day before my oat ceremony, I got a call from a field officer saying I should not attend the ceremony. He said they will send me a letter, explaining why, which they did. It turns out that though I was married for 4 years to my ex wife, she divorced me six month prior to my permanent resident card arriving in the mail (at the time of divorce i wasnt aware she had divorcec me) So at the time my card arrived in the mail I was no longer married, though I wasn't aware. I have had my green card for seven years now and at a risk of loosing it.

Married in 2001, filed residency 2001, I had to file an I-601 waiver in 2004, July 2005 she had divorced me, February of 2006 my permanent resident card was granted. Now i am told my PR card was granted in error, 7 years later. What can I do?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

Answered . Complex fact situation. Schedule a consultation with an experienced deportation defense attorney.

You will soon be placed under removal proceedings.

Why do you need to retain the best deportation attorney possible?

Because the government will be represented by an attorney who has probably appeared in hundreds, or even thousands, of such hearings. (I know – I served as an INS Trial Attorney until 1982.) If your attorney is not knowledgeable or is inexperienced, you will be at a distinct disadvantage.

Too many people appear at their deportation hearings without taking the time to find the best and most experienced immigration attorney to represent them. Instead, they look for an inexpensive attorney or, worse yet, appear without an attorney. This is a recipe for disaster. Why? Because you are creating a record before the Immigration Judge. If you lose, and then hire a new and improved attorney to appeal the Judge’s decision, he will be saddled with the record of proceedings that you, or your inexpensive attorney, created before the Judge.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

4

1

Answered . Meet in private with an attorney. They may be starting removal proceedings, in an attempt to deport you.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

Answered . I agree with attorney Capriotti. You need to meet with an immigration attorney before this thing escalates.