Skip to main content

A coworker was disciplined and quit. Now they are trying to blame me and ruin my professional reputation. Cease and desist...?

Denver, CO |

I work in a very small professional field, where reputation means everything and word spreads like wild fire. A coworker was put on suspension pending investigation and quit the next day. I'm not sure of the reason, but have heard it was a financial/billing issue. I am now being told I was involved in a "conspiracy" to get rid of the individual. Now the individual is calling colleagues and spreading word that I was involved. I have been told by the institution, that the individual is aware of why they were being disciplined. Since I had nothing to do with it and they have been told the reason, which has nothing to do with me, I feel they are trying to "black ball" me. What can I do? Sue, cease and desist...anything? I feel this could hurt me professionally.

Attorney Answers 3


Due to the nature of the problem and the vagueness of the description, this online forum may not be the most appropriate place for you to make your inquiry. You should probably contact an employment litigation attorney to have a private consultation about the problem and what your range of remedies might be.

The information provided in this answer is only general shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


I agree with Mr. Bryans. This requires a sit-down consultation with an excellent employment law attorney. I strongly suggest Mr. Bryans.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Who is the they that is trying to "blackball" you?

I agree with the others that you should hire an employment attorney as soon as possible and avoid discussing the matter online if indeed your concern is rumors spreading within a closely knit and gossip prone professional field.

However, I would go one step further and suggest this attorney do something immediate and private (i.e., NOT filing a lawsuit where records are public) such as sending a letter by trackable overnight delivery to this person saying "I represent X who had nothing to do with your firing but is concerned that you believe he did and are spreading false statements to third persons in a manner which is damaging to your reputation and could cause you economic loss. Inform him of the legal elements of "defamation" and tell him that if he persists in discussing you in connection with the matter, you will not hesitate to commence a civil action for an injunction and money damages resulting from his defamatory speech". Perhaps offer to meet with this person and discuss any grievance he may have and set the record straight.

That should probably cool his jets and an attorney should only charge a few hundred dollars for writing such a "demand" letter.

This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics