A cop told me they had video evidence of a crime i "commited" I asked them and they wouldnt show me the evidence. legal?

Athens, NY |

I went to the police station on a graffiti charges and the officer told me he had video evidence of me doing a graffiti tag on a wall. I asked to see the video and he said no. What does this mean?

1. Unfortunately police officers lie all the time to suspects they are questioning. It is part of their strategy to get cop outs and it is legal. Hopefully you didn't talk. If they contact you again, you need to tell them you want a lawyer with you before you answer anything.

2. It could be true and it might not be. Police Officers do not have to show anyone arrested or being questioned their evidence. Sometimes they lie to try and trick someone into confessing. Except in extreme cases, the case law permits this.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. Yes--they don't have to show you any evidence. It means nothing positive or negative.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

4. The currency of police is threat of arrest and prosecution. Likely they can't really identify you in the grainy video, but were you to confess then that with the video builds a case. They might not have any video, but believe you to be a tagger and think that all your brain cells are fried from aerosol inhalation; and that you would make an incriminating statement like : "that's not my tag" Don't talk to them any more and if you are arrested get an attorney - he/she wil get the video through a porcess known as discovery. Go to art school!

I know very little about your case. Please seek the advice of an attorney experienced in this area of law and do not rely on my statements to defend yourself in this matter.