A cop arrested me for me refusing to show him my ID at a bar. Will I win in court?

You have not set forth enough facts. This is posted under DUI. Were you charged with DUI? Disorderly conduct? Public drunkeness?

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

Resisting Delaying or Obstructing Officer. It is a bunch of crap. I am taking this to trial.

What are you being charged with?

It is unlawful to obey a reasonable request from a law enforcement officer. In a bar, the officer is well within his rights to ask for ID to establish your legal presence in the premises. If you were indeed driving the same answer applies.

Every legal matter is fact specific, and there are often nuances in every case. This is intended for comment only, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Aaron Scott Hill

Aaron Scott Hill

Meant to say disobey, unlawful to disobey.

I am over 21 though. He came up to everyone and said "IDs everyone" and I said "I don't have to show you my ID. I am of legal drinking age" and he got mad and arrested me.

Jeffery Kirk Rubenstein

Jeffery Kirk Rubenstein

Like Mr. Hill said, it was within the officer's authority to request your ID. Therefore, you were obligated to show him your ID. The arrest sounds like a power play by the cop. Good luck. http://www.jkrlaw.com

The answer is no based on the facts you gave. The officer will fabricate those facts later to justify the arrest and charges.

It is unlikely you will win in court. There would seem to be a readily apparent reason why an officer would ask you for an ID in a bar.

Probably not, if you were in an establishment that has a minimum age, law enforcement can ask for identification to prove your that you were lawfully present.

Without knowing all the facts of the case it is impossible for anyone to say whether or not you will win the case.

I believe that you were likely asked for ID to verify your age at a bar. I'm just unsure what the charge would be in your case. Minor attempting to posses alcohol? Anyway, not enough facts here to intelligently answer the question. Although I do believe the cop can ask for you for ID to verify age. Good Luck!

Please provide more information.

Not without a lawyer if the cop had a reason to be there asking for identification.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI