A company sold me a TV and Internet package. The Rep had to run my credit. Understandable.

Homestead, FL |
Filed under: Credit score

Once she ran my credit and finished the order she charged me $7.00 which I thought sealed the contract. She then sent me to another Dept to Bundle my package. I was asked again to run my credit. I questioned why the company needs to run my credit twice. I then find out that the Internet provider was the same Internet provider I currently had. I had stressed this to the Rep that sold me the package and the Rep in Bundling. I did however let her run my credit again. She then told me I had to pay $100 and in 4-6 weeks I would get a gift card to spend with that company. I was furious. I asked to cancel. She sent me to a Dept that explained to me that she could have told me before hand and the package I was sold I could not get bcz I was already with the Internet Co. I am so upset. Inquiries!!

Not sure if I understand the question. Are you asking whether this is legal or are you venting?

Well hard not to vent but I want to know if I can do anything about misleading me and potentially hurting my credit score with inquiries done due to their negligence. I entered into a contract with them when they charged me I thought but now they cannot honor this contract. It was their mistake.

Unless you are out of pocket a loss; I don't see any issues here. You may however want to contact the Better Business Bureau at bbb.org and file a complaint if you believe you were entitled to the discount and promotion.

This is not legal advice but a general comment on society based on a limited set of hypothetical circumstances. No one should act or refrain from acting based on these comments without seeking appropriately licensed legal or professional advice. The author disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on his comments.

So you are telling me a company can run credit which hurts credit scores then not honor the agreement? There should be some recourse. Giving me a final price then running my credit then charging my credit card $7 to complete the initial setup sounds to me like a binding agreement. If this representative who represents the company misinformed me leading to them breaking the agreement and in the process dropping my credit score I must be able to demand something legally? I'm not trying to make a financial gain but demand they fix the credit inquiries. If not they should pay for breach or negligent sales practices? You guys would know the proper legal terminology. If I gave incorrect information selling a car I would be at fault, why does a corporation not have to honor these same laws?

Jonathan H Levy

Jonathan H Levy

Your credit score should not have been hurt by an inquiry from a company with which you have an account. The $7 should be refunded; if not dispute it with the credit card company. And yes you are right; they are a corporation which has plenty of money to quash lawsuits over $7 and extract sanctions for a frivolous lawsuit against both you and any attorney representing you. But that's just my thoughts, someone else may have different take on this.

Mr. Levy, it sounds like your thoughts are are more of an opinion. Everyone knows that when a company runs your credit score it lower's it some. Who's to say exactly how much and how can we value those hit's on credit in a monetary value. A contract was breached by the company and in the process of coming to the agreement in the first the company failed to give the accurate information leading to these credit checks. There must be someone who is more familiar with credit law or simple breach of contract than Mr. Levy who is looking at this request for help as me being mad or upset over $7.00. This is bigger than that. Who protects the consumer?

I still need assistance please from an attorney who specializes in this field.

Inquiries will be removed after 2 years, however if you would like to get them removed ASAP, you can. Just make sure you don't have any other major issues that are dinging up your credit because it may then not be worth while pursuing the removal of credit inquiries.

This situation goes deeper than the inquiries. I am trying to buy a home. I don't have two years to wait. Why don't you attorneys look at the whole transaction? Bad information by the Rep who represents the company. My credit. Why consumers just have to sit back and be taken advantage of by these large corporations? They mislead me, potentially dropped my credit score and broke the contract?