A collections agency has my name wrong

Asked over 4 years ago - South Carolina

i joined a gym with a 2 year membership. after the13th month you can cancel the membership. i contacted the gym to cancel and they had no record o fmy membership, i was told i must have fullfilled my contract obligation. this was a year ago. last week i got a call from a bill collector about the gym. they called me by the wrong name which explains why they had no record of me. my copy o fthe contract has my name in print clearly spelled correctly. do i have a leg to stand on here?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Teri A. Walter

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . If you complied with the contract, you have a defense to any collection action. If you just called, were told they had no record, and left it at that, you most likely have not complied with the cancellation provision, which typically requires a written notice. Look at the terms of the contract.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,279 answers this week

2,785 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,279 answers this week

2,785 attorneys answering