A collection agency took money out of my account without permission.Is this legal?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Tarboro, NC

My husband owed money on a credit card. A collection agency took over and he allowed them to take payments out of our account bi-weekly.When he lost his job he called and asked them to stop taking the money out until further notice and they agreed.Then three days ago they took two payments out of my account without permission and I now have nothing left. Can they do this?

1. Mitchell Paul Goldstein

1

Answered . It depends. If you contacted them after the next payment was scheduled, then it was authorized. You need to find what the original agreement was for withholding money. Also, you need to find if they even have a record of your contact or, more specifically, of his calling them. Right now, send them and the bank a letter terminating the withholding authorization OR better yet, change the account now.

I doubt you will get the money back. If you can prove that they had no authorization, you can try to sue them. Keep in mind that you must be able to prove that your husband notified them in time to stop the withdrawal, that they agreed and that they did not stop it.

2. Eric Charles Lewis

Answered . It may be possible. You should review your agreement with them to see what constitutes revoking permission and when it must be made to be timely processed.

3. Marc Gregory Wagman

Answered . This really depends on what "permission" you gave the collection agency. If you filled out an automatic withdraw of the money from a bank account then your husband should have sent a letter to the collection agency stopping all auto deductions. If he just called theres where the problem lies. You should either switch your bank account and or send the creditor a letter stopping all your future payments as well as contact the bank to stop an automatic withdrawals. Some banks make it difficult to stop an automatic withdrawal because it is unlike stopping payment on a check. Hope this helps....