A collection agency is holding my Drivers license hostage until I have paid the entire amount owed.

Asked almost 5 years ago - Spokane, WA

The collection agency has a hold on my license due to an unpaid ticket. I have contacted them several times to try to make payment arrangments so I can get my license back, they absolutley refuse to work with me. I am very frustrated because I have lost a good job because of my license being suspended and unable to find other work because I don't have a valid one. I don't have the money to pay the entire fee at once. I don't know what else to do, I am at risk because they are not willing to work with me.

1. Shawn B Alexander

Pro

Answered . Because of the nature of the collection business it can be very frustrating to work with collectors. Because they know the only reason you would pay the ticket is because they have a hold on your licence, they are unwilling to make a payment arragement. My advice would be to borrow enough to pay the ticket pay it off and pay back the loan.

You will need to consult with a lawyer locally.

Start keeping a detailed log of all calls and letters. You should also demand in writing all communications from creditors is in writing.

Do not give them any personal information because that is how collectors decide on which accounts to recommend suing.

If you are going to make payments use money orders and not personal checks or “check by phone” because if they find a bank account the collector will be more likely recommend a lawsuit the their legal department.

All collections are negotiable.
    If you are going to settle mark the check “settled-in-full” at the very top back of the check and include a letter explaining you are offering a settlement, keep copies of everything

Get written confirmation of any payment plan the agency will accept.

I have pasted a link to the FDPCA to help you with your federal rights;

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit...

I hope this information and generic advice is helpful.

Good Luck