A co-occupant is on the lease but not required to sign the lease what is their legal obligations.

Asked about 3 years ago - Harper Woods, MI

I am on the lease as a co-occupant but not as the tenant. Can I be liable for none payment of rent in Michigan

1. Scott P. Zochowski

Pro

Answered . Probably not. It sounds like the landlord is aware that you are in the property and has authorized you to live there as a co-tenant but has not required you to co-sign or guaranty the debt of the lease contract.

That being said, if rent is not paid, the landlord always has the right to evict you and all other occupants. But should that happen, the landlord should only be entitled to a possession judgment as to you. The landlord can take a money judgment (for unpaid rent) as to the tenant who is a party to the lease contract.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now