A child walking a dog is pulled into your yard trying to reach your dogs behind a fence - who is responsible for her injuries?

Asked over 1 year ago - Holliston, MA

Am I legally responsible to pay for this child's injuries when she was walking her own dog - who she didn't have control of, dragging her 25 feet into my yard towards my dogs behind a secured fence. The child is in atleast 7th grade and the dog isn't that big, but she had the wrong type of collar on the dog,

1. Dennis M. Lindgren

6

Answered . There are too many unknowns to answer your question definitively. For example, was there some obstacle or hazard that the child tripped on and was injured? Based upon the scenario you lay out however, I think a Plaintiff's lawyer would have a difficult job making a case against you. I would report the incident to your home owner's insurance carrier. If the child's parents make a claim against you, the insurer will provide you a defense (i.e. attorney) and most likely indemnification if necessary (i.e. they will pay for plaintiff's damages). Good luck.

2. Kenneth P Doherty

5

Answered . You may be responsible because your "secured fence" doesn't seem so secure if a dog can enter your yard while dragging a 7th grade girl.

3. Jeffrey Mark Adams

5

Answered . Sorry, not quite sure what occurred. Report this to your homeowner's carrier asap. Better safe than sorry.

Pro

5

Answered . It's unclear from the facts as posted what happened. Report it to your homeowners insurance company to resolve.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  5. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

4

Answered . You do not tell us what happened. Did your dogs cause her an injury? You have not given us enough facts to understand the problem. Report any incident to your homeowners or renters insurance carrier and cooperate with their investigation.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  6. Henry Lebensbaum

1

Answered . I believe u are not liable. However contact ur home insurance.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.