A character in my novel wants to remake a movie and mentions a known movie title. Does this commit any copyright violations?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Cincinnati, OH

The character is an actress and the narrative mentions she's filming a remake of a popular 1970s movie. Does this violate any copyright laws?

1. Daniel Nathan Ballard

5

Answered . Mentioning the name of a movie in a book does NOT violate the copyright in the movie or any work of authorship associated with the movie.

2. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . Titles are not protected by copyright, the content is protected. You might have trademark considerations if you imply your book is sponsored or endorsed or licensed by the company, but that would be from mention of the company or its products not the title.

3. L. Maxwell Taylor

4

Answered . No.

4. Alexander Patton Montgomery

1

Answered . My colleagues have offered excellent answers. A copyright protects the creative content of a work, not necessarily the title. It is possible that there are trademark issues involved, but this seems rather low risk to me.