A car was stolen and hit my parked truck. The driver fled the scene with another car. Who's at fault?

Asked over 1 year ago - Randolph, MA

No further detail

1. Douglas Richard Lloyd Jr.

7

1

Answered . As Attorney Sarangi notes, it is very unlikely that the owner of the stolen vehicle will be found responsible unless there was some blatant negligence on the owner's part that enabled their car to be stolen (such as leaving the car unlocked with the keys in the ignition in an open area). The person at fault is obviously the car thief. Since you probably don't know who that is, your recourse is to your own insurance policy. Hit-and-run drivers are typically considered "uninsured" for purposes of uninsured motorist coverage.

2. Fareesh S. Sarangi

Pro

8

Answered . Unless the driver left the keys in the ignition, or something similarly negligent, some jurisdictions may ultimately hold him liable, but its very unlikely when the use was non-permissive and unforeseen. Hopefully you have uninsured motorist coverage!

Pro

6

Answered . Report this to police & insurance.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  4. Kevin Coluccio

5

Answered . Likely, no one that you could hold responsible. I would talk with your insurance carrier.

5. Andrew Daniel Myers

3

Answered . Under the terms of the Massachusetts Standard Auto Policy you need to report this to the police ASAP if not in 24 hours. Make a claim for the property damage to your insurance company promptly. The insurance company has a division that will look into potential subrogation against any possible insurer that may cover it. The driver who fled the scene is obviously at fault, but getting your truck fixed, I would think, would be your priority.

6. Gilbert Richard Hoy Jr

2

1

Answered . The driver who fled the scene is clearly at fault. But if you cannot locate him or her, you will be unable to pursue that avenue to recover your losses as a practical matter. The owner would not be liable unless they actually did something wrong, e.g, allowed the driver to use the car knowing that they had a horrific driving record and no license. Contact your insurance company right away and a licensed attorney experienced in car accident cases.

7. Henry Lebensbaum

2

Answered . The person who stole it.

8. George Costas Andriotis

Pro

3

Answered . Likely not the car owner but the driver certainly would be but its very likely there's no insurance. Call the police and your insurance company to report it.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  9. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

2

Answered . The driver of the car which struck yours.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.