A car I finance for a dealer

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

ok I finance acar 3 weeks ago and it broke down on me so I call the dealer and they sent a tow truck to pick it up. now I have a loner car from the dealer its now been 5 days and they still have the car. so I call the dealer and told them I don't want that car no more I want a different car cause its only been 3 weeks and it broke down on me and I have to make my payments for 72 months so now the dealer told me I cant give the car back until I receive a title it that true

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

Answered . Bring the paperwork to an attorney immediately. Lemon law may apply depending on age of car, mileage and s few more factors.

2. Richard J. Chertock

Pro

Answered . Is this a new car? Did you buy it from a dealer? I suggest you bring the contract to an attorney who handles lemon law disputes as the New York lemon law may apply and you may be entitled to a replacement vehicle.

3. Ronald Lee Burdge

Answered . The other attorneys are right that you need to sit down with a local lemon lawyer and go over your sales paperwork and the whole sale process so you can find out for sure what rights you may have. Complicating that is the fact that New York has a used car lemon law that may apply too, depending on how old your car is and how many miles were on it when you bought it. As for your main question, do you have to wait to get the title to be able to cancel it, no - that's just a ruse to drag it out and make it tougher for you to cancel the sale. The truth is that any car dealer, anywhere, can cancel any deal they want to cancel, even when the finance contract has been signed and sent to the bank (they call that "cashing the deal") - the problem is they don't want to. So you have to act fast and get formal and that means getting a lawyer's help to get it done right.

4. Scott Richard Kaufman

Answered . I do not think this is true. This said, you really need to speak to someone good who is local like Schlanger and Schlanger in NY:

Find Dan Schlanger here for a low or no fee consultation and please tell him I said "Hello."

http://www.naca.net

http://www.calemons.com/national-locator/

http://www.calemons.com/