A car I finance for a dealer

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

ok I finance acar 3 weeks ago and it broke down on me so I call the dealer and they sent a tow truck to pick it up. now I have a loner car from the dealer its now been 5 days and they still have the car. so I call the dealer and told them I don't want that car no more I want a different car cause its only been 3 weeks and it broke down on me and I have to make my payments for 72 months so now the dealer told me I cant give the car back until I receive a title it that true

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Jayson Lutzky


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Bring the paperwork to an attorney immediately. Lemon law may apply depending on age of car, mileage and s few more factors.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more
  2. Richard J. Chertock


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Is this a new car? Did you buy it from a dealer? I suggest you bring the contract to an attorney who handles lemon law disputes as the New York lemon law may apply and you may be entitled to a replacement vehicle.

    This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please... more
  3. Ronald Lee Burdge

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The other attorneys are right that you need to sit down with a local lemon lawyer and go over your sales paperwork and the whole sale process so you can find out for sure what rights you may have. Complicating that is the fact that New York has a used car lemon law that may apply too, depending on how old your car is and how many miles were on it when you bought it. As for your main question, do you have to wait to get the title to be able to cancel it, no - that's just a ruse to drag it out and make it tougher for you to cancel the sale. The truth is that any car dealer, anywhere, can cancel any deal they want to cancel, even when the finance contract has been signed and sent to the bank (they call that "cashing the deal") - the problem is they don't want to. So you have to act fast and get formal and that means getting a lawyer's help to get it done right.

    This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. The law in your... more
  4. Scott Richard Kaufman

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I do not think this is true. This said, you really need to speak to someone good who is local like Schlanger and Schlanger in NY:

    Find Dan Schlanger here for a low or no fee consultation and please tell him I said "Hello."




Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,804 answers this week

3,221 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,804 answers this week

3,221 attorneys answering