A car I finance for a dealer

Brooklyn, NY |

ok I finance acar 3 weeks ago and it broke down on me so I call the dealer and they sent a tow truck to pick it up. now I have a loner car from the dealer its now been 5 days and they still have the car. so I call the dealer and told them I don't want that car no more I want a different car cause its only been 3 weeks and it broke down on me and I have to make my payments for 72 months so now the dealer told me I cant give the car back until I receive a title it that true

1. Bring the paperwork to an attorney immediately. Lemon law may apply depending on age of car, mileage and s few more factors.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

2. Is this a new car? Did you buy it from a dealer? I suggest you bring the contract to an attorney who handles lemon law disputes as the New York lemon law may apply and you may be entitled to a replacement vehicle.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

3. The other attorneys are right that you need to sit down with a local lemon lawyer and go over your sales paperwork and the whole sale process so you can find out for sure what rights you may have. Complicating that is the fact that New York has a used car lemon law that may apply too, depending on how old your car is and how many miles were on it when you bought it. As for your main question, do you have to wait to get the title to be able to cancel it, no - that's just a ruse to drag it out and make it tougher for you to cancel the sale. The truth is that any car dealer, anywhere, can cancel any deal they want to cancel, even when the finance contract has been signed and sent to the bank (they call that "cashing the deal") - the problem is they don't want to. So you have to act fast and get formal and that means getting a lawyer's help to get it done right.

This answer is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. The law in your state may differ and your best answer will always come from a local attorney that you meet with privately. For a Free Online 50 State National List of Consumer Law Lawyers, click on this link (http://tinyurl.com/79ku5jx) and find one near you

4. I do not think this is true. This said, you really need to speak to someone good who is local like Schlanger and Schlanger in NY:

Find Dan Schlanger here for a low or no fee consultation and please tell him I said "Hello."

http://www.naca.net

http://www.calemons.com/national-locator/

http://www.calemons.com/

Lemon law topics