A business that owes me money and is filing bankruptcy. How do I get my money?

I performed services and my business is owed $2400.00. The company that owes me money is filing for bankruptcy or already has. Do I go to small claims court? Or how do I move forward if they are filing/ filed for bankruptcy?

Stuart, FL -

Richard Allan Heller

Richard Allan Heller

Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Attorney - Orlando, FL

Do not take ANY action without the permission of the bankruptcy court. Otherwise, you will end up owing the other party for violating the automatic stay, which is a court order prohibiting any further collection activity without the consent of the bankruptcy court.

I assume that this is an unsecured claim. If the case is filed under Chapter 7, your choices are very limited. If the bankruptcy trustee recovers money, you may file a claim and get paid a prorata share of the money paid. You can file an adversarial proceeding to object to your debt being discharged, but the reasons to object are very limited. Also, the amount in controversy is typically too small to make it worthwhile from an investment/pragmatic point of view.

If filed under Chapter 13, your will need to file a proof of claim asserting the amount owed. You again will be paid a prorated amount of money paid to unsecured creditors.

Chapter 11 is too complex for a simple blog discussion. For the best advice regarding this matter, obtain a consultation with a qualified bankruptcy attorney.

Diane L Gruber

Diane L Gruber

Bankruptcy Attorney - West Linn, OR

You are a creditor of this business. If they file bankruptcy, and it is a no-asset BK, you will get nothing. If it is an ASSET case, you will file a claim and might get some or all of your money, depending upon how many other creditors file claims. Good luck.

Kevin Christopher Gleason

Kevin Christopher Gleason

Bankruptcy Attorney - Hollywood, FL

If a bankruptcy has been filed, DO NOT GO TO SMALL CLAIMS COURT! You will receive a notice that the case has been filed and instructions on how and whether to file a claim. If there are no assets to distribute, you will get nothing. Most cases have few or no assets.

Paula Brown Sinclair

Paula Brown Sinclair

Bankruptcy Attorney - Twin Falls, ID

The admonition of Mr. Heller, and the explanation of Ms. Gruber, are both correct. As a creditor to a debtor who has petitioned for bankruptcy protection, your collection actions are severely limited. Rather than rely on the limited information about the law and legal procedure we can provide on this public Q&A, consulting with local creditor's-rights counsel would be prudent.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.