A brand name pharmacy gave me a wrong prescription that could of killed me! Can I sue them!!

Asked 8 months ago - York, PA

My regular pharmacy gave me a prescription that was meant for someone else but had my name and all that on it and my doctor was furious and said I should sue them because that medicine with what I am on could of killed me!!!!

1. Michael A Ferrara Jr

Pro

8

Answered . This happens a lot. If you were dead, you would have a great case.

2. Jennifer L. Ellis

Pro

8

Answered . Fortunately, it appears you didn't actually take the medication. This means, legally speaking, you have no damages to sue over. So no, you cannot sue them. You might want to find a new pharmacy though. Personally I would speak to the manager of the pharmacy about what happened.

As you say this is a very serious, and potentially deadly, mistake.

3. Philip Anthony Fabiano

7

Answered . The law does not recognize what might have happened only what did happen.
    There is no claim here.
    The purpose of a negligence claim is to "compensate" a person for what they lost--to try and place them back where they were had there been no injury/loss. In your case nothing has been taken from you. You have no loss and no lawsuit.

Pro

7

Answered . Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades

5. Mishka L Marshall

Pro

7

Answered . Fortunately, you didn't take the medicine and are alive to complain about the pharmacy's mistake. You have no case. You cannot pursue damages for what might have happened in this situation.

6. Leo M. Flynn

Pro

3

Answered . A lot of people say "show me the money". Well, you have to show the injury! Without none, then there really isn't much of a case, if any. Sorry for the bad news.

7. Patrick S. Mintzer

1

Answered . You were not injured, therefore no claim exists for medical malpractice. Be happy you were not injured and put it behind you.