A bank is trying to foreclose on my house. However I did not borrow money from them. Can they?

Asked 4 months ago - Suffern, NY

I took a mortgage with Millenium. Now, years later, Residential Mortgage is trying to foreclose. They say they are attorney in fact for Saxon. They have a note that I signed to Millenium and an allonge that says pay to the order of WMC Mortgage. At the bottom of the page, there is a stamp that says "Pay to the Order of ______ Without Recourse". It is blank. No where does it say Residential Mortgage or Saxon or any other bank besides Millenium or WMC. So how can Resdidential Mortgage , acting on behalf of Saxon, foreclose on me? This is really upsetting so if you can help me thank you.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Arthur Wemegah

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It sounds like the note was transferred. Often times it is done improperly or even involves fraud. You need to hire a foreclosure attorney to assist you.

  2. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It sounds like they bought the loan. I suggest that you retain counsel to review the documents.

    The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal... more
  3. Robert A. Stumpf

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The first level of inquiry you should be asking yourself is "have I been paying this mortgage"? If the answer is no, and someone (anyone) is suing you for foreclosure, you probably are at the point where you have to get a lawyer involved.

    This is AVVO, a place for users to obtain general legal information to general legal questions. I am glad to help... more
  4. George Asllani

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is not uncommon for loans to get sold to other lenders (other than the origingal mortgagee). Your Millenium Mortgage loan was likely transfered to Saxon, who then went under and sold their assets to 5 different companies (Ocwen Loan Services ; Specialized Loan Servicing, PHH Mortgage,
    AMS Servicing and finally Residential Credit Solutions). Residential is now foreclosing on the mortgage as holder of the note and mortgage (the collateral).

    For the note and mortgage to be enforceable instruments, they have to have been assigned properly from lender to lender (while defects don't render them useless, they might help you fight). This means that the note from Millenium must have an allonge or endorsement stamp leading to the current owner of the note (Residential). Same goes for the mortgage of record, where assignments (which are recorded documents) must lead the chain from lender to lender until reaching your current servicer/lender (Residential).

    Just to address your blank endorsement stamp - the stamp is supposed to be filled out by the transfering bank, upon selling the loan to the new holder of the note (in this case Residential). What it should say in theor is "Pay to the Order of Residential Credit Solutions, without recourse" and signed by the selling bank.

    An attorney (experienced in real estate banking procedure and familiar with collateal reconstruction and investigation) must look at the documentation to determine whether the mortgage chain is in fact correclty intact and whether the current lender that is pursuing the foeclosure action has the right to do so.

    The statements herein are for informational and educational purposes only. In no event shall these statements... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,140 answers this week

3,279 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,140 answers this week

3,279 attorneys answering