A 400 lb. Man with a trach fell. We were told to leave him on the floor all night. It happened on an overnight shift.

Asked 5 months ago - North Hudson, NY

This man was so big we could not get him up. He cried all night. He had problems breathing. We were told if we tried to get him up and got hurt..it was on us. He begged us not to let him die. Th
is was an assisted living housing. We had to leave him there all night. To top it off, it happened again the next night with a different resident. We were told the same thing. Staff threatened to leave if something wasn't done. We refused to leave someone on these hard floors all night. Staff ratio is 2 to 44 on this shift. We are women
Is this acceptable in NYS? This 400# man has a trach and was having problems breathing. He begged us to help him and not let him die like that.

leave him there all night on the hard floor. To top it off, it happened again the next night with a woman. Staffth

1. Jeffrey Mark Adams

7

Answered . I truly hope this is a prank post. If not, seriously! Call an ambulance, call the police, contact the N.Y. State Department of Health, tell the family of this poor man. For shame.

2. Michael R Varble, Esq.

Pro

6

1

Answered . Call and ambulance, call the police and call the Department of Health. I hope this isn't a real inquiry.

3. Craig A. Post

4

Answered . I agree with Mr. Adams. On top of everyone else you should have notified, if you are union, you should be contacting union counsel or the shop steward.

4. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . Hope that no one notifies the State Department of Health. You can't leave a patient on the floor all night.

5. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

2

Answered . No. This is disgusting and despicable. You should make a complaint to the NYS Attorney General's Office, and the NYS Department of Health, and to all of the regulatory bodies that regulate nursing homes.

6. David Ian Schoen

Pro

1

Answered . This is really not the appropriate forum to deal with this issue. There should be a line of command to handle complaints such as this and would advise you to request to pursue them in writing ASAP. I would send copies of the letters to management at all levels. This sounds like unacceptable behavior and the family is likely to bring an action if this situation is not corrected.

7. Robert Daniel Siano

Answered . I sincerely this is not a real posting and is some sort of prank. Assuming you are telling the truth, then I agree with counsel in telling everyone and anyone that will listen about this. However, if you are not telling the truth, you have certainly scared a lot of honest people on this forum.