A "Bill Collector" keeps calling me in spite of a "Cease and Desist" letter sent certiied to them. What can I co?

Springfield, MO |

this is a hospital bill sent to collections on june 11, 2013. Best to my knowledge, I didn't know I owed this as a bill statement was never sent to me.

Contact a local attorney who files cases under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.

If you found my answer helpful, please designate it as such.

My comments are general in nature, are not legal advice as to your specific issue, and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Disregard this solicitation if you have already engaged a lawyer in connection with the legal matter referred to in this solicitation. You may wish to consult your lawyer or another lawyer instead of me. The exact nature of your legal situation will depend on many facts not known to me at this time. You should understand that the advice and information in this solicitation is general and that your own situation may vary. This statement is required by rule of the Supreme Court of Missouri.

If the Bill Collector is not the creditor you allegedly owe, but is an outside bill collector, then you probably have a good claim under the FDCPA, so long as the bill collector received notice in writing to cease contact with you.

I would definitely save a copy of the letter you sent (hopefully you already did this) or send another notice, via certified mail, to them (keeping a copy of it) that you are disputing the debt and they should no longer contact you about it. This does not eliminate the debt, but it would prevent them from calling you and harassing you about the debt.

These cases are typically done in federal court, and often result in relatively quick settlements without a trial, IF the consumer has a strong case.