80% changed to 65%

Fresno, CA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

Is it true that starting November 1st, a felony that required an inmate to serve 80% is now going to be changed to 65%?

1. No. It is not true.

2. No.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice. Mr. Leroi answers questions on Avvo because he strongly believes in public service from his years as a judge, magistrate, and prosecutor. If you need to ask any follow up questions because my answer did not fully address your question, feel free to call Chris or post an additional question. Thank you.

3. This myth has been floating around for years. Some of us suspect it originates with those serving LWOP sentences seeking to have a little fun at their eventually to be released prison colleagues' expense.

For a Free Consultation Call: 408.516.4645

4. No

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY

5. This is a really common question. The answer is no, but I understand the confusion. In federal prison, the mandatory percentage is 85%.. just like some sentences (on violent offenses) in state prison. There have been attempts in the past to reduce that number to 65% via Congressional bills, but none of them have passed and as of August of this year, none were pending. I think people hear about those efforts and think that it would apply to California prisons, but it wouldn't--- it would apply, if it passed some day, only to inmates serving federal sentences.

Please don't forget to choose the "best" or most "helpful" answer. This response does not create an attorney client relationship. The information provided here should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice received by an attorney that you have retained for your specific case. If you are actually involved in a case pending in court and you have an attorney, you should speak to your attorney and follow his/her advice. The information provided here is for general purposes only.