Asked about 1 year ago - Atlanta, GAFlag
We used a Valspar oil paint product labeled utility floor paint in our basement in September 2011. The can says it dries in 24 hours, but the fumes were so intense in our house that we could not stay there for 2 weeks. We have spray foam insulation under our house, so we were surprised, but the fumes were also prevalent in our yard. It is now May, and there are still paint fumes, and for some reason, they are worse now than in the winter. We have had several weeks of dizziness and unclear thinking even with the windows open, and now we cannot turn on the AC because it is in the basement and brings fumes into the house. I tried running it today and I am completely light headed now, can't see clearly and have black circles under my eyes. We have a four year old son and work from home.
Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.Browse our legal dictionary
you should promptly contact a GA lawyer in your area that does injury work. the GA trial lawyers association or the local county bar would be a good source. the simple answer is that you may have a case. i had a similar case some years ago which involved a different product but caused chemical hypersensitivity, a serious problem. i don't want to alarm you but would get to a doctor soon. the dark circles, lightheadness, etc are all symptoms of possible brain issues. you should also be very concerned about your son. if you have an alternative place to stay until the fume issue can be rectified you ought to consider it. finally if you still have the paint, preserve it along with the cans and any spec sheets. good luck.
24,795 answers this week
2,599 professionals answering