8% of malpractice cases are actually won, so good malpractice lawyers are farinbetween, how do I know a good lawyer?

Miami, FL |

Does finding the "best" lawyer require going out of state? What if not-the-brightest-bunch characteristics of my lawyer start popping out after already having signed on?

You can read about a lawyer's qualifications on Avvo.com, and make you decision from there. Good luck to you.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Martin Paul Weniz

Martin Paul Weniz

Excellent advice.

Mr. Lassen, I wish that were true.. I have put in many complaint.. More than willing to put my name on.. Avvo doesn't put them on line.. 6.7 rating and NO ONE REVIEW.. I wish to god that avvo would allow all to be written... we the public would not be hurt or destroyed

The 8% figure could be a combination of jurors unwilling to find doctors liable, tort reform and unfair jury instructions, You should look at an attorney's website to try and find out their track record in med. mal. cases. You should also schedule an in person meeting and ask them about their success with these type of cases. Local attorneys know the law and the doctors the best, so stay local in your search.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

Many very good top shelf attorneys have seen jurors reject their cases. It is not correct to equate positive judgments with the lawyer.

The last actual statistic that I have seen based on an actual study of cases that went to juries indicated approximately 90% of med mal cases that go to juries end up with a defense verdict, judgment for the medical provider. Among the factors included jurors wanting to believe in the integrity of the health care provider and overall juror bias.

Legislatures across the country are passing law by law, state by state tinkering with the med mal law and the political intrusion into the law has created more barriers to injured patients and tilted the scales further and further away from the consumer.

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.

Jacob Adam Regar

Jacob Adam Regar

Well said!

Martin Paul Weniz

Martin Paul Weniz

Very helpful.

As Mr. Myers points out, the reason such a small proportion of medical malpractice cases are won at trial has little to do with the quality of the lawyers. The best medical malpractice lawyers are able to settle a large proportion of their cases. Otherwise, they would not be able to keep their doors open. When you interview lawyers, ask them about their settlements as well as their verdicts.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

Medical negligence cases are among the most difficuly, complex, and contentious for a trial lawyer. They take very hard work, experience, a masterful grasp of the medecine, the ability to find highly-credentialed experts, and excellent trial skills. I believe every state has its fair share of preeminent trial lawyers who represent victims of medical malpractice. I also think there is a great deal to be said to having an in-state lawyer because there are likley to be familiar with local courthouses, rules, defense lawyers, court personnel, and the trends of verdicts in the various counties around the state. A good starting place for finding the best lawyers in your state, is searching the most esteemed by-invitation-only trial lawyers organizations in the country with members in your state: the inner circle of advocates, the international society of barristers, the american college of trial lawyers, and the international academy of trial lawyers. Good luck.

Craig Anthony Schlapprizzi is licensed to practice law in Missouri and Illinois, and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only. This does not consitute legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship.

what can the public do to help resolve the problems of LEGAL MALPRACTICE.. Charging $450 per hour and make mistake after mistake.. Bar assoc in every state is a social club.. not there to help the USA citizens.. We need attys to put the garbage out of the profession. Lawyers seem to think clients are wrong.. the PUBLIC HAS GOTTEN TO THE POINT THEY DON"T TRUST ANY ATTY.. That is to bad...I sure there are wonderful attys but the bad destroy all

Craig Anthony Schlapprizzi

Craig Anthony Schlapprizzi

I share your frustration about public distrust of lawyers, and it is true that there are some bad apples in the bunch, as there are in all professions, but your general statements that lawyers are not here to help and bad lawyers destroy all is simply not true. I admit that I do not know much about lawyers charging $450 by the hour because I work on a contingency fee basis only - meaning I only get paid if I am successful for the individual or family I represent. I can tell you that the vast majority of lawyers who do what I do - representing injured people - care deeply for the clients a form close bonds that last well beyond the case's conclusion. If you think you have a legal malpractice case, you should talk to a lawyer who handles those kinds of cases and see what your options are (those consultations are almost always free). Some may say I'm being naive in that I've always thought and believed that the legal profession is a noble one and that our fundamental purpose is to help those in need - but that's how I feel and most of the lawyers know feel the same way. I'm sorry to hear about your sentiments towards the legal profession. I hope one day they change.

I have has mitchell winn a ins lawyer lie through all appeals, Zero prep for depositions or trial. PAPER CLIPS was my prep..Never told the judge in Brooklyn I had a concussion less than a month before. The adjuster told a NON white jury I hated blacks, as you might know I lost. My atty said nothing and objected to nothing. Said when I lost I a Bigit. I am not, but does that matter once said. He had another ins case of mine and never put in the 60 day notice, and I'm going to lose that case because off. I have until Dec 10th to file a lawsuit or loss my time. One atty said I might be able to put it as contract law and save my time. I have another atty Joel Ziegler that stole $81,400. My RN lein on a personal injury suit. He's a legal malpractice atty in Smithtown NY. I purchased a home and paid him to put in the papers with the Suffolk County Clerk, paid cash. He never did and I may lose my condo because of. Scott Mishkin employment lawyer, that missed filling date, forgot to put DOH on the case, 3/4 of case thrown out and then walked... You can't find a atty after these mistakes. How do you think you can say there are good attys.. Maybe attys should take legal malpractice case contingency then they would work for there monies.. When your paying $450 per hour why should you do the right things... There is a difference between ETHICS and Malpractice. In the medical profession if it is unethical it is malpractice, and reversed. Legal malpractice is a death penality case. You have to prove 100% you would have won your case if he had not errored...death cases are always hard. Maybe all attys shold have to help pro bono on a certain amount of cases to clean up your profession. I do free nurseing many times, and I can't even take it off on my income taxes...But I'm a christian and moral

More than likely, there are great med mal lawyers in Florida. Do your homework. Look at reviews on google, martindale.com, avvo.com, and from the newspapers. See what medical malpractice attorneys in your area have recovered for their clients. Call firms you think may be good, and ask to speak with an attorney. From my experience, the best firms will allow you to speak with an attorney immediately. A firm with low resources or man power will usually ask if they can call you back.

Disclaimer: Nothing in this message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter.