601 and 601A

Asked over 1 year ago - Alexandria, VA

i am going to fill 601 waiver and question is: i hear that usually person who fills 601 (with i485 case , based on marriage with amer. citizen. I came here wth B2 visa and overstayed 2 years) has to go back to native country to wait desision.
So, if i have to go back to my country and wait answer, how i can get back evading 10 years bar for overstay..And i cant fill 601A becouse if i filled i485 i cant use 601A.
So, what to do?

1. Fernanda Nunes Hottle

Pro

4

Answered . You might not even need a waiver if this was your first time coming to the US, you entered with a visa, and have not left since. I strongly suggest you consult with an Immigration attorney as soon as possible to evaluate your case.

Even if you do need a waiver, I do not encourage you to do it on your own.

2. Cassandra Ann Rodriguez

Pro

3

Answered . 601 waivers are very complicated. Id highly recommend you hire an attorney. I was recently hired to re-do a 601 for a client who tried it on his own, and is now stuck out of the country as a result. Its much more prudent to invest in a lawyer fr the get go and minimize the separation of your family as much as possible.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

3

Answered . You do not have to leave the United States if you filed for adjustment based on marriage to a US citizen because you entered with a visa. The entire process can be completed here in the US. Best thing to do is hire an experienced immigration attorney.