60 days remaining to file I-751, but my marriage is in trouble. Should I get divorced first and then file it, even late?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Seattle, WA

I have been having problems with my wife, and and it seems that my marriage will not last. I only have 60 days to file my form I-751 to remove my conditional status, and I am not sure what to do. If I file for divorce (which we both want to do) I will not be able to file the form I-751 until I have the Decree of Divorce, right? Then I can file the I-751 with a waiver of the joint filing requirement, but I was wondering if this can create some issues to my status since the divorce process may take several months, and I only have 60 days to file the I-751. Is this the right way, or should I ask my wife to help me and do not file for divorce until the I-751 gets approved?

1. Karen-Lee Pollak

6

Answered . Talk to an attorney to discuss your options.

2. Raphael Samuel Moore

6

Answered . You really need to talk to an immigration attorney, so you can proceed correctly. This forum is not adequate for this detailed advice.

3. Nicolette Glazer

5

Answered . You need to consult with an attorney. This is not a issue to resolve/decide in a forum like this.

Answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.