6 pt speeding ticket; hearing at tvb office in happauge; can I plea bargain to reduce points/fees before the hearing?

Babylon, NY |

I am unclear if I can try and reduce the fine and points before the hearing or it has to be done at the hearing?

TVB is the land of no plea bargaining. It tends to be an all or nothing court where you are going to end up being found guilty or not guilty.

With a 6 point ticket you would be subject to the New York State Driver Responsibility Assessment. This means that if you get 6 points within 18 months, the DMV will charge you an additional $100 per year for 3 years = $300 to keep your license. This is in addition to any fines and surcharges you pay on the tickets. A defensive Driver Course doesn't exempt you from having to pay the assessment.

Since you are looking at a 6 point ticket I would suggest pleading not guilty and fighting it with the help of an attorney familiar with TVB. In addition there seem to be some changes on the horizon with how Suffolk County prosecutes traffic tickets that may help your case.

Daniel A Jimenez
Law Office of Daniel A Jimenez P.C.
80 Orville Drive, Suite 100
Bohemia, New York 11716
631-244-1534

This communication is neither a solicitation nor an offer to represent you. The information provided to you in this communication is not intended to create and does not create a lawyer-client relationship with the Law Office of Daniel A. Jimenez P.C.

You cannot currently plea bargain there. You need to adjourn it for as long as possible to retain an attorney and in April, they are switching to a system where you can actually plea bargain cases. Until then, every case goes to trial or is dismissed if the cop doesn't show 2 times.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

I suggest hiring an attorney right away. There are no plea bargaining. Show

Your query is exhibit "A" as to why you should retain counsel to defend this ticket.

I agree with the above attorneys. A six point ticket is worth the expense to retain an attorney and since you are dealing with the TVB it is unlikely that you will have much success without the assistance of an NY traffic attorney.

This answer is for general advice. It is not legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. For legal advice you have to retain your own attorney.