6-point speeding ticket. Take automatic mail in 2-point reduction or go to court? Also, if I hire a lawyer, any chance 0 points?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Colorado Springs, CO

Received a 6-point ticket for going 24 MPH over the limit. I have not had a ticket in three years and have a clean driving record... the last ticket I received was for speedingl. Ticket was issued by El Paso County Sheriff's offce in Colorado Springs

1. Gary F Pirosko

7

2

Answered . Unless you have a rock-solid defense to the speeding you are unlikely to end up with a 0-point violation. You might do better than the 2-point reduction if you appear and negotiate with the prosecutor. You also might have the points further reduced if you attend a traffic school. Most insurance companies will treat minor moving violations (everything more than 0-points) the same. Therefore, if you are not usually getting tickets on a regular basis, you need to weight the time and expense of going to court vs. the convenience of mailing in the plea to the reduced charge. There is no one-size-fits all answer to this question.

2. Stephen Clark Harkess

2

2

Best Answer

Answered . Any chance? Sure. Likely? No. The circumstances and the general disposition of the prosecutor will affect the plea offer. However, it is extremely unusual for a 6 point ticket to be reduced to a non-moving violation. With a clean record you might be able to do better than a 2 point reduction, but a 0 point plea would be rare.