Skip to main content

6-point speeding ticket. Take automatic mail in 2-point reduction or go to court? Also, if I hire a lawyer, any chance 0 points?

Colorado Springs, CO |

Received a 6-point ticket for going 24 MPH over the limit. I have not had a ticket in three years and have a clean driving record... the last ticket I received was for speedingl. Ticket was issued by El Paso County Sheriff's offce in Colorado Springs

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Any chance? Sure. Likely? No. The circumstances and the general disposition of the prosecutor will affect the plea offer. However, it is extremely unusual for a 6 point ticket to be reduced to a non-moving violation. With a clean record you might be able to do better than a 2 point reduction, but a 0 point plea would be rare.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.


Unless you have a rock-solid defense to the speeding you are unlikely to end up with a 0-point violation. You might do better than the 2-point reduction if you appear and negotiate with the prosecutor. You also might have the points further reduced if you attend a traffic school. Most insurance companies will treat minor moving violations (everything more than 0-points) the same. Therefore, if you are not usually getting tickets on a regular basis, you need to weight the time and expense of going to court vs. the convenience of mailing in the plea to the reduced charge. There is no one-size-fits all answer to this question.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer