5+ year old dispute with ATT is showing up on credit report (CR). The original amount was $100-$150. 3 or 4 CAs later, it's

Chicago, IL |

listed at more than $1,100 (even at 30% annual compounding, that shouldn't be more than $550). So this amount is rampantly being padded. I sent dispute letters to the 3 CRAs. They all replied with "verification". Which was nothing more than the current CA reiterating its unsubstantiated claim on a wildly inflated charge against an account that is over 5 years old and that I disputed from the outset because of unacceptable service. What do I do next? Send a DV to the CA? My assumption is that they will just send a letter back claiming that they have verified that this is my debt... IE merely regurgitating their spurious claim as proof... Should I take the DV step anyway?

The question really is do you want to set up a FCRA case for you or do you want to try to quickly get your credit report fixed. I don't handle FCRA cases but I do have experience with getting incorrect or spurious information off of credit reports removed. I would say the CA is potentially violating the FDCPA if they are reporting inaccurate inflated information (credit reporting is a collection technique). I'd be happy to help you get the stuff removed from your credit report at no cost. If you want some money and want to set up a FCRA case, then perhaps you'd want to google FCRA Attorney here in Chicago. Good Luck!

I am an attorney licensed to practice law in Ohio and some Federal Courts throughout the United States. I am not answering your question to solicit you as a client and there is a good chance that I am not licensed to practice law in the state that you reside. I hope that you find my assistance beneficial and, at most, use my advise as a finger pointing in the right direction. An attorney client relationship is not established by posting back and forth online. One of the most beneficial aspects of working with an attorney is the attorney client privilege which does not exist when you post personal facts online to faceless strangers. Hire an attorney if you want specific legal advise. If you cannot afford one, call your local bar association or search "(your city) legal aid" online. The fact that you took the time to post your question online likely means that you could use the aid of an attorney. Call around your area and see if any local attorneys offer free consultations.

I recommend contacting an attorney who specializes in consumer law about your dispute. Most will provide a free consultation, and take good FDCPA/FCRA cases on a contingency basis. If they truly are inflating the amount of the debt, that would violate both the FDCPA and the FCRA, now that they haver verified the debt after your dispute. We recently sued a collection agency for similar conduct. We have also seen this pattern debts being shifted from one collection agency to another after being disputed by the consumer, and it is arguably a violation of the FDCPA and/or Illinois Consumer Fraud Act. Also, are they listing the account as disputed? If you notified the collection agency of your dispute, their failure to state that the account is disputed on your credit reports is an FDCPA violation.

The above response is not intended to create, nor does it create either an attorney-client relationship or an ongoing duty to respond to questions. It is intended to be solely the educated opinion of the author and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Some responses may be advertising material. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the inquiring person and additional or differing facts might change the response. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the state of Illinois. Responses are answers to general legal questions and the inquiring party should consult a local attorney for specific answers and advice. Answering this question does not create a duty to keep information confidential, nor does it prevent me from representing an adverse party. Advertising Materials.