4 youths commit robbery with my Iphone5, pressing charges I don't want them to go to juvenile detention, I want other options.

Asked about 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

At 4pm, one of the 4 kids snatched my iphone5 from the two hand. i was robbed. All 4 youths were caught and phone returned. I'm pressing charges, but do not want them to go to juvenile detention. I want them to have monitoring(probation) and community service, otherwise i will drop the charges on all 4 youths. Can i request this? is this in my power? I personally don't think Juvenile detention in the long run will do more harm then good. I don't want to get assigned a judge you punishes rather harshly. I want to make sure that juvenile detention is not an option. what can I do? One youth is being tried in criminal court, the other 3 are being tried in family court.

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

3

1

Answered . Let the judge's who have experience dealing with these types of cases sentence the youths. The myths will have their own lawyers and you can the DA and corporation counsel a victim impact statement and your recommendation. Dropping the charges in all likelihood will give the yoths the courage to continue doing to others what they did to you.

2. Marco Caviglia

Best Answer

Answered . Contact the prosecutor on the case immediately and discuss all this. While it is a crime against the public, your compassion is a factor. If the prosecutor persists, write to the judge and anyone else involved in the sentencing and voice your position. Appear at sentencing as well. It's a lot of work, especially for the victim, but if even one of these kids has his future altered for the better from your efforts, it is an immeasurable reward.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . Talk to the prosecutor. A Probation Officer will likely contact you and you can make your feelings known.

4. Michael Lawrence Doyle

Pro

3

1

Answered . The Judge will often allow you to make a statement at the time of sentencing. The prosecutor will often consult you with any offers that they give to the defendants. You will have the opportunity to have some say. However, your decision is not controlling.