4 years ago I got a DUI in NJ and now I was just arrested for a DUI in GA. Will they count this as a 2nd DUI?

Atlanta, GA |

I was just arrested for a DUI in GA..I spent all day in jail .. my license is suspended and my court date is not until July

For drivers license purposes, if this is a first DUI on the Georgia license, it is be considered a first DUI. For punishment purposes it will be considered a second offense. You need to hire a qualified DUI lawyer.

The GA DDS will consider this a first offense as far as calculating your license suspension time. If the court knows about your prior from 4 years ago they will consider this new arrest a 2nd DUI within a 5 year period.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

Yes and no. Yes for punishment, no for your license. When you say you were "just arrested" what do you mean? 3 days? 3 weeks?