4 year old Medical debt, now threatening to put lien of house.

Mission Viejo, CA |
Filed under: Lien

My wife & I have a 4 year old (since date of service) medical bill (from California) and have recently received a threat by them, saying they will be putting a lien on our house and reporting to credit agencies.

Contract first agreed 3/30/2005

Last payment by us 10/04/2006

The reason for non payment is disagreement to the amounts owed and amounts already paid by insurance.

What should we do at this stage ?

The debt is now close to $15,000 including late fees.

Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

Under California law, the statute of limitations for written contracts is 4 years and statute of limitations for verbal contracts is 2 years. In some circumstances (such as revolving lines of credit), that latest activity on the account renews the statute of limitation. If you have a bona fide dispute over the bills, you may need to litigate it. You should consult your own lawyer to protect your legal rights.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt