3rd dui. I was sentenced to work furlough today. I tried to turn myself in to do jail time instead and wasn't admitted.

Asked about 5 years ago - San Diego, CA

I had specifically asked my public defender if I needed a court sentence to turn myself in and he said no. Nor did he state a specific time to turn myself in so I assumed it would be ok to turn myself in today. What now?

1. Domenic John Lombardo

Pro

Answered . If this is a San Diego matter, call work furlough (619) 232 -8600 and see if they will take you as surrender. If they won’t take you, you must appear in court immediately to have your case added-on to the court calendar where you were sentenced. If your matter is downtown San Diego, and if you show up at court before 8:30 A.M., they will put you on the morning calendar, if you show at a later time but before 12 P.M they will add you on for the afternoon. If the warrant gets issued they may not add you onto the calendar for several days. Your public defender should be available to help you with this problem.

2. George Fredrick Mueller

Answered . Perhaps your paperwork was not completed today.

Go back to the courthouse and ask the clerk where you may find your paperwork.

It may be in a box and easily accessible.

3. Matthew Edward Williamson

Answered . Call the Sheriff's office and ask when & how you can turn yourself in.

If they won't take you, go there, try to turn yourself in and see if they will give you something in writing telling you that you can't turn yourself in.

Take Note: Common Sense and this environment (the internet) require me to remind everyone that this answer isn't legal advice, and shouldn't be relied upon. Remember-every state has different laws, rules and regulations and each person's situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a thorough evaluation and review of all the facts and documents at issue, including potential investigation. By answering or posting information here, it doesn't create an attorney-client relationship.

Good luck with your situation.

Matthew Williamson