3rd degree theft in Iowa

Cedar Rapids, IA |

I was charged with 3rd degree theft in early 2008. I had been employeed at a retail store and in order to audition for a dream of mine. I needed the money to audition and to get to the audition. I stole a little over $600 from the store. I had fully intended to pay the store back once I had the money, but they caught me too soon and had me arrested and terminated from the job. I wrote out a written statement admiting i was guilty and explaining what happened. The boss of the store did also. I have a clean record other than traffic violations and being in jail for that one night really taught me a lesson. My court date has been drawn out for far too long, it is now 2009 and i finally got a letter in the mail today stating when my court date was. It is a month away and I guess I'm wondering what to expect. I do have an attorney that the state is paying for as to I cannot afford my own. I am basically wondering I guess if there will be jail time involved and an estimate on the fines. I guess I'm just REALLY scared.

1. Nobody can predict what will happen to you based on your post.

Many factors such as the record, your history, what ruling you have, whether witnesses are credible all matter and that makes it near impossible to say what "will happen" as far as an outcome. No one online can validly predict what the future holds. Click the Lawyer Search tab on Avvo and look for an attorney in your area.

Finally, you might find my Legal Guide helpful "What Do I Tell My Lawyer"?

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-do-i-tell-my-lawyer

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding.