3rd degree assault charge off in 5 years?

Asked 10 months ago - Renton, WA

So my fiancé got charged with a 3rd degree assault back when he was 18 but the fight happened when he was 17.
My fiancé got in a fight with another guy and during that the other guy happen to get a 2mm crack in his cheek bone so he took it to court an bam, 3rd degree assault. Then his public defender didn't defend him at all and just told him to plead guilty, so he did. The judge mentioned that he could get it off his record in 5 years but it might be difficult. He had a 6 month probation. Can he still try to get it off?

1. James J White

Pro

5

Answered . You cannot get third degree assault off of one's record. However, if the Judge told him that he may be able to withdraw his plea since it was based on erroneous legal advice.

2. Sean P Cecil

5

Answered . I agree with Mr. White: as a "crime against a person" 3rd degree assault is not eligible for vacation. Still, the conviction may be worth reviewing; I would recommend contacting an attorney that specializes in post-conviction relief. Good luck!

3. Frank Mascagni III

5

Answered . Your fiance needs to have a criminal defense attorney review the facts of both cases and see what, if any, options he has under WA state law to expunge/seal the prior case. Every state statute is different.
    Get counsel to advise you.