39:4-115 Improper Turn at Traffic Light - Should I pay?

Asked over 1 year ago - Old Bridge, NJ

I received the 39:4-115 Improper Turn at Traffic Light violation this morning. It was during night, and a car was stopped ahead of me in the red light signal. I didnt notice the "No Turn on Red" signal. Since the car ahead of me made a right turn in the signal, I also followed the car and ended up getting the violation ticket. As I understand that this was a safe corridor, which is why I have to pay$140, and also 3 points will be added to my license and insurance. Do you think it makes sense (from an argument and financial perspective) to contest or shall I just plead guilty?

Additional information

This is my first violation in 6 years of license. The violation happened in Rahway NJ

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Mark M Cheser

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Old Bridge is one of the most flexible courts in NJ. Lane Miller, the prosecutor, is a prince. Do not plead guilty. Put away at least half a day (OB is a very busy court). Go down there. Lane calls the roll and actual negotiates with the pro se defendants in open court. My bet is that he will give you a 0 point ticket, unsafe driving, 39:4-97.2, (if you have not used this twice or if the last time was 5 years ago). This is a $439 ticket (maybe more in a safe corridor) but 0 points. An attorney can likely get you a cheaper 0 pointer but the attorney's fee negates the savings. Lane might give you the cheaper one anyway. Give it a shot.

  2. James Alexander Abate


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Depending on your driving record, the prosecutor will reduce your ticket to 2 points if you handle your self and very likely to zero if you have an attorney. I am assuming this is in Old Bridge.

    Law Offices of James A. Abate Jabatelaw.com (732) 412-2364
  3. Jeffrey Eric Grabelle

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It never hurts to speak with the prosecutor to see if you can enter into a plea agreement, where you plead to a lesser included offense and pay a fine in exchange for less points on your records. Points generally affect insurance rates, and your company may surcharge you for the three points. See what the prosecutor will offer you.

  4. Steven Todd Keppler

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your explanation is no defense. That another driver failed to observe the sign has no bearing on your failure to so observe.

    However, if you're looking at excessive points and high fines, you may want to hire an attorney to assist you. It's possible that an attorney may be able to convince the prosecutor to amend the charge down, or even dismiss it.

    The foregoing is not legal advice, and nothing in the foregoing shall be deemed to create an attorney client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,355 answers this week

2,837 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,355 answers this week

2,837 attorneys answering