341 Trustee Meeting~ BANKRUPTCY

Asked 6 months ago - Gaithersburg, MD

I am in desperate need of filing bankruptcy (Chapter 7). Will I have a problem at the Creditors Meeting because my name on my Driver's License (XYZ) and social security card (ZXY) are transposed?
All my credit cards are in my "XZY" name but my tax return and a year-old pay stubs (I am out of work now) are in my ZXY name. My creditors filed 3 lawsuits against me and I can't pay them.
Can I still file bankruptcy? I live in Maryland.
Thanks to all.

1. Brett D Weiss

Pro

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . I practice in Maryland. (In fact, I'm looking at the Greenbelt Bankruptcy Court out of my window right now!)

This should not be a problem provided that the alternate names are properly disclosed. If you need help, most of the attorneys here (including me) offer free initial consultations.

2. Shikha Parikh

1

1

Answered . No, you should not have a problem as long as you present both documents and explain the discrepancy. The IDs are needed to verify identity more than anything else at the creditor's meeting. It is recommended you hire an attorney to ensure your interests are protected, however.

3. Blake Owen Brewer

2

1

Answered . No, you will not have a problem based upon this.

4. Shaye Larkin

2

1

Answered . Yes you can still file bankruptcy, but it would probably be best for you to straighten out the drivers license and social security card issue first, or shortly after you file, so there are no delays due the to the trustee's inability to confirm your identity.

5. Roy A. Praver

2

1

Answered . You shouldn't have a problem. When your attorney files your case he/she will probably show both names on the Petition as XYZ a/k/a ZXY.

Once your Bankruptcy petition is filed, proceedings on the creditor lawsuits should stop.