341 Trustee Meeting~ BANKRUPTCY

Gaithersburg, MD |

I am in desperate need of filing bankruptcy (Chapter 7). Will I have a problem at the Creditors Meeting because my name on my Driver's License (XYZ) and social security card (ZXY) are transposed?
All my credit cards are in my "XZY" name but my tax return and a year-old pay stubs (I am out of work now) are in my ZXY name. My creditors filed 3 lawsuits against me and I can't pay them.
Can I still file bankruptcy? I live in Maryland.
Thanks to all.

I practice in Maryland. (In fact, I'm looking at the Greenbelt Bankruptcy Court out of my window right now!)

This should not be a problem provided that the alternate names are properly disclosed. If you need help, most of the attorneys here (including me) offer free initial consultations.

The legal analysis of any situation depends on a variety of factors which cannot be properly represented or accounted for in a response to an on-line question. Any answer, discussion or information is intended as general information only, is not intended to serve as legal advice or as a substitute for legal counsel, and should not be relied upon in making any decision. If you have a question about a specific factual situation, you should contact an attorney directly.

2. No, you should not have a problem as long as you present both documents and explain the discrepancy. The IDs are needed to verify identity more than anything else at the creditor's meeting. It is recommended you hire an attorney to ensure your interests are protected, however.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship, and the response is a general answer to the question posted. Please do not rely on this information as legal advice and consult with an attorney regarding the specifics of your case.

3. No, you will not have a problem based upon this.

I am not your attorney unless you and I have signed a retainer agreement. What I am saying is not legal advice. Do not act on this information without engaging my services, this is for consideration only.

4. Yes you can still file bankruptcy, but it would probably be best for you to straighten out the drivers license and social security card issue first, or shortly after you file, so there are no delays due the to the trustee's inability to confirm your identity.

The information provided herein is general information only and not legal advice. The information provided herein does not create an attorney client relationship and is not a substitute for having a consultation with an attorney. It is important to have a consultation with an attorney as the information provided in this forum is limited and cannot possibly cover all potential issues in a given situation.

5. You shouldn't have a problem. When your attorney files your case he/she will probably show both names on the Petition as XYZ a/k/a ZXY.

Once your Bankruptcy petition is filed, proceedings on the creditor lawsuits should stop.