30 months of physical presence in US for naturalization?

Asked 5 months ago - Chicago, IL

Hello,

I am planning to apply for naturalization. Please let me know what does physical presence mean? Does it mean having an address in the us or being present physically? I traveled a few times for one month each outside US will that be a problem? Secondly how do I show physical presence to the USCIS? Please advise. Thanks

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

1

Answered . "Physical" Presence means exactly that: being physically present on US soil during the time in question and not merely "having an address.." Your travels will not disturb or "break" the "continuity" of you physical presence, as long as resided (were physically present) in the US for at least half the required statuary period.
    How do you show physical presence in the US? Simple. You will be deemed to have been "physically" present in the US all this time since you were first admitted into permanent residence, with the sole exception of those travel dates and absences you'll list on your N-400 application. It is an "honor" system. They will believe you, unless have any reason(s) to doubt your veracity, in which case you will be asked to submit documentary proof of your physical presence for a certain time period. Hopefully that will not happen.

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

1

Answered . Your several short absences from the United States even repeatedly do not break the requirements of continuing physical presence, in the trips did not last over 180 days each time. Your physical presence may be corroborated by all correspondence, car payments, bills, tax returns or affidavits and such to show the permanent nature of the residence.
    But to truly analyze your particular eligibility accurately, commit to one experienced immigration counsel.

3. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

1

Answered . Physical presence means being in the U.S. in person.

4. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

Answered . If you have been outside the US only one month per year, you have met the physical presence requirement for naturalization purposes. It would also follow that you would have an address in the U.S.

Gunda Johanna Brost
    Gunda Johanna Brost, Immigration Attorney - Cedar Falls, IA
    Posted 5 months ago.

I agree.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko
    Alexander M. Ivakhnenko, Immigration Attorney - Chicago, IL
    Posted 5 months ago.

So do I.