30 months of physical presence in US for naturalization?

Asked 2 months ago - Chicago, IL


I am planning to apply for naturalization. Please let me know what does physical presence mean? Does it mean having an address in the us or being present physically? I traveled a few times for one month each outside US will that be a problem? Secondly how do I show physical presence to the USCIS? Please advise. Thanks

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . "Physical" Presence means exactly that: being physically present on US soil during the time in question and not merely "having an address.." Your travels will not disturb or "break" the "continuity" of you physical presence, as long as resided (were physically present) in the US for at least half the required statuary period.
    How do you show physical presence in the US? Simple. You will be deemed to have been "physically" present in the US all this time since you were first admitted into permanent residence, with the sole exception of those travel dates and absences you'll list on your N-400 application. It is an "honor" system. They will believe you, unless have any reason(s) to doubt your veracity, in which case you will be asked to submit documentary proof of your physical presence for a certain time period. Hopefully that will not happen.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that... more
  2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your several short absences from the United States even repeatedly do not break the requirements of continuing physical presence, in the trips did not last over 180 days each time. Your physical presence may be corroborated by all correspondence, car payments, bills, tax returns or affidavits and such to show the permanent nature of the residence.
    But to truly analyze your particular eligibility accurately, commit to one experienced immigration counsel.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general... more
  3. Gunda Johanna Brost


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Physical presence means being in the U.S. in person.

    This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be... more
  4. Aggie Rachel Hoffman


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . If you have been outside the US only one month per year, you have met the physical presence requirement for naturalization purposes. It would also follow that you would have an address in the U.S.

    The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It... more
    Gunda Johanna Brost
    Gunda Johanna Brost, Immigration Attorney - Cedar Falls, IA
    Posted 2 months ago.

    I agree.

    Alexander M. Ivakhnenko
    Alexander M. Ivakhnenko, Immigration Attorney - Chicago, IL
    Posted about 1 month ago.

    So do I.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,710 answers this week

2,774 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary