Skip to main content

3 year window eligibility for me to file for citizenship after divorcing my husband under 3 years and remarrying to him again.

Killeen, TX |

my husband brought me to usa in 08 and then i got my green card in 09 but then i filed for divorce in 2011 under 3 years of my eligibility to file for naturalization but we worked our differences and got married again . Can i file for citizenship now or do i have to wait another 3 years . Or do i have to wait just so i can reach my 5 year window for it . please help , thanks

Attorney Answers 3


I would simply wait for the 5 years instead of making it complicated and trying to qualify for the 3 years.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


I agree with my colleague. Better to wait the extra two years and not have to submit proof of your marriage. - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


You will have to file under the five year rule, of after three years from your remarriage.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics