3 open petty larceny charges. Now a detective is looking to charge me w/ grand larceny in the 4th.

11561 |

All these charges are coming up from march-april, and I have never been in trouble before then, and since then I have been a productive member of society. I also am 4 months pregnant. I just in the past few days found out about the detective looking for me, I am not sure exactly what is for, however the detective made it seem as if it was in the 4th degree.

Well--if it's related to another petit larceny, and the retail value exceeded $1000, it would become a felony.
If you go to the precinct, make no statements NO MATTER WHAT he promises or threatens. If you only have these cases, jail can be avoided in this situation.
Good Luck.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

You should get an attorney--if you have been charged with a crime, it doesn't make sense to wait around until you get charged.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

That's a felony. Retain a criminal defense lawyer if you haven't already. Don't speak to the police.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Time to retain a criminal defense lawyer right away.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.