2nd OVI charge in 6 years--- refusal to blow or do field sobriety.

I got charged with a 2nd OVI after I swerved to miss a deer and struck a guardrail, my vehicle was totaled and another car stopped to help me. I wasnt drunk but I was very "out of it" from the accident as it was pretty bad. I did hire an attorney, but was wondering if there was anyway to avoid Jailtime or the hefty license suspension?

Toledo, OH -

Neil Scott Rubin

Neil Scott Rubin

DUI / DWI Attorney - Twinsburg, OH

I could give you all sorts of scenarios and I understand that you are worried about the outcome. But the only person who can evaluate this case is the attorney you hired. USUALLY, a "second in six" gets you at least six days incarceration or three days and a three day driver intervention program. But to give advice without all the facts would be unethical. Further, you should not be posting anything on this website about this case. Anything you write here is not privileged and can be used against you. Talk to your attorney.

Michael Stephen Probst

Michael Stephen Probst

DUI / DWI Attorney - Columbus, OH

My general advice to clients across the board is that submitting to a breath test can only result in providing the State of Ohio with additional evidence of guilt. I believe that refusing the breath test and remaining silent is one's best advice if arrested. However, you should know that refusing a breath test or other chemical test carries a stiffer length of pre-trial administrative license suspension imposed by the BMV as well as a longer period of time to wait before being granted pre-trial limited driving privileges.

In addition, refusing a breath test can result in stiffer penalties if convicted of an OVI. For your 2nd OVI conviction in 6 years, you are automatically facing 10 days mandatory jail time if convicted in that fashion. If you refuse a breath test on your 2nd conviction in 6 years there is 20 days of mandatory jail time unless there is a reduction of the charge.

I believe that by refusing the breath test and all field sobriety tests you have ultimately made it harder for the State of Ohio to convict; however, all strategical questions should be directed to the attorney you hired. In addition, I echo that discussing the case in detail or making admissions on this forum could haunt you. Good luck with your case.

Attorney Michael Probst
614.232.8890
www.probstlawoffice.com

Christopher Lee Beck

Christopher Lee Beck

DUI / DWI Attorney - Beavercreek, OH

The only way to avoid these problems is to win. A 2nd in 6 OVI carries a mandatory minimum of 10 days in jail but could be more. Talk to your attorney. These penalties can be highet. Good luck.

Andrew Richard Bucher

Andrew Richard Bucher

DUI / DWI Attorney - Toledo, OH

You would be well served to talk to your attorney about this, these fears can be quelled and interviews with multiple lawyers avoided if you simply speak directly with your attorney. In the event that your attoreny cannot or will not answer your questions then it may be time to seek the opinion of alternative counsel.