2nd dui w/ in 10 yrs cannot be charged as felony simply because 1st was felony w/ injury which had been reduced and dismissed.

Asked 3 months ago - Visalia, CA

I was awaiting sentencing on a 2nd dui being charged as a felony simply because it was w/ in ten yrs of the 1st which was a felony due to injury. I had researched this question months earlier and found conflicting answers w/ only about 20 to 25% of them answering favorably on my behalf. I trusted what my lawyer @ the time was telling me. He and 80% of the lawyers that answered my questions basically told me that it can be charged as felony even though 1st had been reduced and dismissed per 17b and 1203.4 3yrs prior to getting 2nd dui. I thought it was important for the current and future clients of all lawyers who may read this post to know that a reduction and dismissal of a felony under 17b and 1203.4 is then a misdemeanor for ALL purposes. I was sentenced on misd. charges just recently.

1. Matthew Murillo

Pro

5

Answered . It depends on a variety of factors. More then you make it seem to be.

It appears you believe you were given bad information, but please remember, this site is not intended to provide ear cut answers. Nothing in law is that clear. Many of those situations, depend on a variety of details. And many attorneys state general responses because it's impossible to get all of the necessary information from a Q&A site like this.

I'm glad things worked out for you. But please don't assume you now have the answer to all felony DUI offenses across the board.

2. Greg Hagopian

4

Answered . Thank you due sharing. I do these kinds if 1203.3 reductions quite a bit (I specialize, so u suppose us be part if the 20%) and you are correct. The reduction also restores the right to own a gun, and to sit on a jury.

3. Julia E. Simmons

Pro

3

Answered . Is there a legal question or are you attempting to inform everyone?

4. Stephen Ross Cohen

3

Answered . The reduction under 17b5 reduces a felony to a misdemeanor when granted, it is a court decision. However expungment only seals the record for civilian purposes in California please read penal code 1203.4 this does not wipe out the conviction or hide it from the government for purposes of licensing, some political offices and from law enforcement,

5. James Roy Dickinson

Pro

3

Answered . There is no question here. If you have a legal question, you may want to speak with a qualified attorney who can assist you.

6. Jay Scott Finnecy

Pro

3

Answered . Thank you for stating your understanding of this complex issue.

San Diego Criminal Defense Attorney--19 years experience. Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy
  7. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

2

Answered . You are correct in what you post - I'm not sure why the original answers and information (assuming your question accurately reflected what occurred) were wrong.

Yes, a reduction makes the conviction a misdemeanor FOR ALL PURPOSES. That means it is no longer a felony. That means your second DUI within 10 years is a misdemeanor (unless it qualifies as a felony for its own reasons).

Glad it worked out for you. Good luck in the future.

8. David Matthew Piper

2

Answered . Nice to hear things worked out for you.

The only point proved, however, is that free legal advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.