2nd degree frostbite on knee after PT ordered by doctor for injured knee, covered by work comp (Illinois)?

Asked 5 months ago - Moline, IL

A year ago I slipped on wet floor and tore MCL, underwent PT but pain did not go away so had diagnostic arthroscopy in May. Diagnosis was tilted knee cap causing compression. Recommendation was more PT. Couple of weeks ago while at therapy, I got frostbite from an ice pack. Should work comp be covering this? Work states that the PT should be liable and as of now I am paying my own medical bills for this. Is it time to get an attorney?

1. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

6

Answered . Theoretically, any malpractice that occurs during a WC cases is part of the WC case, but i suspect the carrier will ignore you unless you get a lawyer. I've had cliients get injured during PT and it is always a fight to get the "additional injury" treated.

Further, you do have a PT malpractice case, if they left the ice on too long, but it's not worth pursuing, since any malpractice case would cost ten times or more in costs (I'd start at about $20K) thatn you'd ever get for damages. A frostbitten kneecap isn't worth much. My frostbitten fingers and toes are not worth anything since they were no one's fault but my own, running and riding outside, but they hurt all the same.

I think for any WC case you should get a lawyer, especially since it's a very complex system and nearly no one off the street can compete with the insurance companies to get a fair shake.

2. Daniel Robert Klosowski

6

Answered . The injury that occurred during physical therapy should be covered under the workers' compensation claim. The argument would be made that the injury in physical therapy was part of the same chain of causation from the initial injury at work. I would recommend that you obtain an attorney at this time. The attorney can work to have the bills for all of the treatment related to your work injury paid by the workers' compensation insurance carrier.

3. Steven Adam Sigmond

5

Answered . YES, it's to get an attorney.

First of all, yes, the physical therapy bills should still be covered under workers comp. That is just a relatively small point.

You have a very serious injury. If the workers comp adjuster is being difficult about paying a PT bill, do you imagine that the same person will offer you a fair settlement for the underlying injury?

Get a free consultation with an experienced workers comp attorney ASAP.

Steven A. Sigmond
    Chicago, IL

4. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Pro

5

Answered . It is absolutely covered under Workers' Compensation.

In Illinois, an experienced Workers' Compensation attorney is ALWAYS warranted - no exception. Find an experienced Workers' Compensation attorney here on AVVO through the "Find a Lawyer" tab above. Attorneys on AVVO want to help you but they are NOT permitted to solicit your business. YOU must contact them. Good luck.

5. Judy A. Goldstein

3

Answered . This is not a WC case. You should bring your medical records to a personal injury or medical malpractice attorney for review. Did a physician actually diagnose you with frostbite. It is highly unlikely you received frostbite from an ice pack.

6. Jonas Urba

4

Answered . Yes.