2nd b1 visa about to expire. Can I apply for a 3rd one?

Houston, TX |

I have been in the united states on and off since June 2011. My second b1 visa is about to expire and i wish to apply for a 3rd one.

I am over here on business and have been since 2011. In that time I have been home which is England 4 times. Each time spend 1-2 months at home. Each time I have been back to the USA I have required further contracts for my employer back in the UK.
I work in the oil and gas industry and these past couple of years have been very good for business.

Do you see any issue with me receiving a 3rd b1 visa when it expires? I plan on only being home for 1 month which is what my employer wishes to.

Kind regards

Craig Whitfield

Yes, you should be eligible. You may wish to file for a B1 in lieu of H1b.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Stephen. Thank you for your promt reply I very much appreciate it. Im just 26 so being away on business is great opportunity for me. Hopefully all will go well with 3rd visa

I am honestly surprised you have not ran into issues with CBP yet. While developing business as you state is a legitimate B-1 purpose, you seem to have spent significant time in the United States for the past 2 years. An attempt to obtain a new B-1 can certainly be made, though I would put the likelihood of success 50-50 AT best and only because you are a UK Citizen. Perhaps it is time for your employer to contact an immigration attorney to determine if an L-1 or E-2 visa might be more appropriate. Maybe even a B-1 in lieu of H-1 might work, though it is not the most beloved visa category for Consulates or CBP.

This information is provided as a courtesy based upon the limited information provided in your post and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Thank you for your reply. Appreciate it. Sadly with business becoming very busy I have stayed more than I wanted to over the past 2 years. In that time tho we have developed alot of new clients for the insulation of cnc machines for the oil and gas industry. Hopefully for the sole reason of keeping my job as overseas team leader I do hope I can obtain a 3rd and final visa. I understand some people get granted 10 year visas to?

Miroslava Orduno Rincon

Miroslava Orduno Rincon

B-1 visas can be issued in up to 10 year increments, yes. UK Citizens are eligible for such a period, but my guess is that you were issued them in one year increments so the U.S. Embassy in London could review your application each time. Since you are eligible to travel under the ESTA provisions, a request for a B-1 automatically indicates to the Embassy that you intend to travel to the United States frequently and for periods in excess of 90 days. Success is possible for another B-1, it might just be a little bit more difficult this time around and I do very much encourage your employer to start looking for a plan B. Good luck!

You can have 55 of them or more, consecutively as long as you qualify each time.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Recommended articles about Immigration