24 year old son moved home after loss of job applied for the dwi indgent program denied because household income to high.

Austin, TX |

We dont carry him on our taxes can they use our income to deny indgent status?

1. There is an assumption that if you can make bond,you can hire a lawyer. Court Appointed Attorney's are almost always reserved for those who are incarcerated. That being said, he can always present an affidavit of indigence to the court,and request appointed counsel. I wish you and your family the best.

Houston DWI Attorney Jim Butler

James R. "Jim" Butler,Houston,Texas,DWI Lawyer. Free Consultation .Call (713)236-8744. I only represent people accused of DWI in Texas.

2. Yes. It is completely within the discretion of the judge whether a person qualifies for a court appointed attorney. Many judges will say, "You look like an able-bodied young man to me. Go find a job." The judge also likely believes that, because you are paying for his other expenses, you can pay for his attorney. If he wants to forfeit his bond, he can go into custody and get a court-appointed attorney.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

3. I'm not sure what you mean by DWI indigent program. Travis County uses court appointed attorneys for all types of criminal offenses. Many attorneys, like myself, offer payment plans for those clients who are having a hard time financially but don't meet the guidelines for court appointed counsel.
    www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com
    Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
    Austin Probation Lawyer
    Austin DWI LAWYER
    512-495-1813

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website, www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

DUI topics