24 year old son moved home after loss of job applied for the dwi indgent program denied because household income to high.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Austin, TX

We dont carry him on our taxes can they use our income to deny indgent status?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. James Richard Butler

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is an assumption that if you can make bond,you can hire a lawyer. Court Appointed Attorney's are almost always reserved for those who are incarcerated. That being said, he can always present an affidavit of indigence to the court,and request appointed counsel. I wish you and your family the best.

    Houston DWI Attorney Jim Butler

    James R. "Jim" Butler,Houston,Texas,DWI Lawyer. Free Consultation .Call (713)236-8744. I only represent people... more
  2. Macy Michelle Jaggers


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. It is completely within the discretion of the judge whether a person qualifies for a court appointed attorney. Many judges will say, "You look like an able-bodied young man to me. Go find a job." The judge also likely believes that, because you are paying for his other expenses, you can pay for his attorney. If he wants to forfeit his bond, he can go into custody and get a court-appointed attorney.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers... more
  3. Richard Timothy Jones

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'm not sure what you mean by DWI indigent program. Travis County uses court appointed attorneys for all types of criminal offenses. Many attorneys, like myself, offer payment plans for those clients who are having a hard time financially but don't meet the guidelines for court appointed counsel.
    Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
    Austin Probation Lawyer
    Austin DWI LAWYER

    My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client... more
  4. Howard C Williams

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . yes they can.

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,231 answers this week

3,044 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,231 answers this week

3,044 attorneys answering