21, first time shoplifting, what will happen?

Lincoln, NE |
Filed under: Shoplifting

I was caught shoplifting a pair of socks from ShopKo. The officer called me, I went to ShopKo and watched the tape. He wrote me a citation and gave me a court date. I paid $50 of the civil fine to ShopKo. What else will happen? Will I need to hire a lawyer? I just want to plead guilty, pay the fine, and do probation. How much will the fine be? The officer said no more than $500.

1. Hire an attorney and try for diversion. If this is your first offense you might qualify in which case you will end up without a shoplifting charge on your record.

I am a licensed attorney in the state of Nebraska. However, the advice I give here is not to be taken as legal advice. It is merely my opinion based on the limited information given. In order to assure that your legal rights are being properly represented I would always recommend going in for a consultation with an attorney to explain your case in detail and answer any questions the attorney might have.

2. You ushould hire a criminal defense lawyer. Sometimes a lawyer can help the prosecutor see that diversion is the better choice, rather than going to trial.

Shoplifting topics