20 year old male dating a 16 year old female

New York, NY |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I am 20 years of age and seeking an answer to the fact that is it legal for someone of my age to date a 16 year old female that I have know for quite some time and to be honest on a personal level out all women who take interest in me she's the only one who is a proper lady and actually has "a head on her shoulders" in adition I am not from the states I recide in Canada, Sudbury ON. Adetailed answer including bylaws from Sudbury would be greatly apreciated. Thank you.

If you are dating someone in NY, then aware that the age of consent is 17 in NYS. If the person is somewhere else, then contact a local lawyer for advice.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

This site is for US law. In NY you could date but not have sex until she turned 17. I suggest find out the law in Canada.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

I don't have any information about the law in Sudbury, Canada. What I can tell you is that here, in the United States, the age of consent varies from state to state. As the other lawyers have noted, the age of consent for sexual activity is 17 in New York. The law that governs any sexual activity you engage in together will be the law of the place where you are when you engage in the sexual activity, regardless of where you reside.