20 year old male dating a 16 year old female

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I am 20 years of age and seeking an answer to the fact that is it legal for someone of my age to date a 16 year old female that I have know for quite some time and to be honest on a personal level out all women who take interest in me she's the only one who is a proper lady and actually has "a head on her shoulders" in adition I am not from the states I recide in Canada, Sudbury ON. Adetailed answer including bylaws from Sudbury would be greatly apreciated. Thank you.

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

2

Answered . If you are dating someone in NY, then aware that the age of consent is 17 in NYS. If the person is somewhere else, then contact a local lawyer for advice.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . This site is for US law. In NY you could date but not have sex until she turned 17. I suggest find out the law in Canada.

3. Sean Thomas Wright

Answered . I don't have any information about the law in Sudbury, Canada. What I can tell you is that here, in the United States, the age of consent varies from state to state. As the other lawyers have noted, the age of consent for sexual activity is 17 in New York. The law that governs any sexual activity you engage in together will be the law of the place where you are when you engage in the sexual activity, regardless of where you reside.