20 year old emotional/verbal abuse?

Asked over 1 year ago - Elgin, TX

I'm twenty years old and I still live with my parents. For the last six to seven years, I have suffered emotional abuse. I am financially trapped by them and cannot find a job to help myself get out of this household. What do I need to know to get the help I need to get out of my parents house and what can I do to make sure I never have to deal with them again?

1. Vicki Elaine Wiley

1

1

Answered . You are old enough to move out unless there is some reason for your parents or another to have a legal guardianship of your person. Contact the closest women's shelter and seek out the services they provide. If they have a safe-house program, you may be able to find shelter with them until you are able to support yourself. Some of these programs have attorneys on staff. If this is not the case, contact a local attorney to seek guidance as to whether you need to file some form of restraining order.

2. Rita Hecker Anderson

Answered . I agree with Attorney Wiley...you are old enough to move out unless there is some court order making your parents your guardian. Move in with a friend, go to a shelter, move in with another relative...

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now