Skip to main content

20 year old emotional/verbal abuse?

Elgin, TX |

I'm twenty years old and I still live with my parents. For the last six to seven years, I have suffered emotional abuse. I am financially trapped by them and cannot find a job to help myself get out of this household. What do I need to know to get the help I need to get out of my parents house and what can I do to make sure I never have to deal with them again?

Attorney Answers 2


You are old enough to move out unless there is some reason for your parents or another to have a legal guardianship of your person. Contact the closest women's shelter and seek out the services they provide. If they have a safe-house program, you may be able to find shelter with them until you are able to support yourself. Some of these programs have attorneys on staff. If this is not the case, contact a local attorney to seek guidance as to whether you need to file some form of restraining order.

This answer is general information which does not establish any attorney-client relationship between the person asking a question and the person answering, nor is it intended to replace competent legal assistance in the jurisdiction where the matter/issue arises or is before a Court.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree with Attorney are old enough to move out unless there is some court order making your parents your guardian. Move in with a friend, go to a shelter, move in with another relative...

DISCLAIMER: This answer does not constitute legal advice and no attorney client relationsip has been, or will be, created until a valid engagement agreement is signed. No duty arises from this posting. Answers posted here are general and made with limited knowledge of the actual facts of your case. Always speak with an attorney licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction if you wish legal advice specific to your case.

Mark as helpful

Child abuse topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics