2 years ago i was charged and convicted with a dui. am i looking at jail time

Bremerton, WA |

shortly after i moved to texas, causing me not to be able to fallow up on some fines and classes. i recently moved back to washington so i can take care of this. i am going to the clerks office tomorrow. will i be loking at jail time.

There is some probation violation issues that you need to address. If you haven't committed any new criminal offenses then any time isn't mandatory. If you have new cases then you will need to talk with your attorney and get the details on what you are looking at. Just because you took off and didnt complete your programs doesn't mean that you will go to jail HOWEVER you will need to address your absence, what you have and haven't done, any further cases that you have been charged witha nd WHAT YOUR PLAN IS NOW.

but i have failed to pay the 1,250 dollar fine. causing there to be a bench warrant. i have court tomorrow now and my attorney isnt any help.

Patrick Owen Earl

Patrick Owen Earl

Sounds like you need to explain your situation t the Judge yourself. Realistically the Judge would like to hear from you MORE than listen to the attorney in these type of hearings. You didn't pay! So that means you don't have the funds to hire a different attorney anyway so pay something and go to the hearing and spill your guts on what is happeneing and what you plan is. If the Judge feels like it is too little too late too short than you could get a violation/sanction. Good luck to you.

will i have a chance to speak to her myself in court tomorrow?

It is certainly possible. Depends a lot on which court your case is in. You should talk (directly) to a lawyer who practices in that court right away. They will likely advise you to make some payments on the court fine, and maybe get back in to the classes before you see a judge or talk to the clerk. If you have some progress going on when you first appear in court, the chance of being put in jail is probably less.

it is in bremerton. and i have court tomorrow.

Stan Glisson

Stan Glisson

It is a bit risky to go in without a lawyer. If you are planning to hire one, I would talk to someone first thing in the morning, or tonight. If the hearing tomorrow is your request to quash the warrant, it might be worth moving it to another day to not appear alone. My partner, Ryan Witt, handles cases in that court all the time and could answer your questions before you go in. There are many other qualified lawyers in Bremerton as well.

i have a court appointed attorney but he really isnt much help.

For God's sake, do not go to the clerk's office tomorrow. You could be taken into custody on the spot without a good explanation for your failures to comply. Contact an attorney. We know which courts take what types of actions. We know what they will want to see from you. The attorney can protect you and eliminate or reduce the consequences for failure to comply.

I am not offering legal advice and in no way does this post create an attorney-client relationship.