2 years ago i was charged and convicted with a dui. am i looking at jail time

Asked over 1 year ago - Bremerton, WA

shortly after i moved to texas, causing me not to be able to fallow up on some fines and classes. i recently moved back to washington so i can take care of this. i am going to the clerks office tomorrow. will i be loking at jail time.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Patrick Owen Earl


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is some probation violation issues that you need to address. If you haven't committed any new criminal offenses then any time isn't mandatory. If you have new cases then you will need to talk with your attorney and get the details on what you are looking at. Just because you took off and didnt complete your programs doesn't mean that you will go to jail HOWEVER you will need to address your absence, what you have and haven't done, any further cases that you have been charged witha nd WHAT YOUR PLAN IS NOW.

  2. Stan Glisson


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is certainly possible. Depends a lot on which court your case is in. You should talk (directly) to a lawyer who practices in that court right away. They will likely advise you to make some payments on the court fine, and maybe get back in to the classes before you see a judge or talk to the clerk. If you have some progress going on when you first appear in court, the chance of being put in jail is probably less.

  3. William Allen White

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . For God's sake, do not go to the clerk's office tomorrow. You could be taken into custody on the spot without a good explanation for your failures to comply. Contact an attorney. We know which courts take what types of actions. We know what they will want to see from you. The attorney can protect you and eliminate or reduce the consequences for failure to comply.

    I am not offering legal advice and in no way does this post create an attorney-client relationship.
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now