2 Traffic Tickets in 2-weeks! The 1st one was a red light camera & the 2nd was a speeding ticket. Both Van Nuys Courthouse, CA

Red Light Camera - I didn't see the "No Turn Right on Red" sign & I safely turned & a camera flashed, took my picture, I received a "VC21453C". The deadline to pay citation / appear in court is Jan 16, 2014.
2 weeks later I was stopped by a cop on a bike, he got with his speed gun, telling me that I was going 54 on a 40. Although I was following the flow of traffic. I apologized profusely & told him I did not realize I was. I cooperated & gave him my paperwork. Deadline for that is Feb 18, 2014. I have had a clean record on my license so far. lately I have been a little distracted of late in life. I am not making excuses. This is not a reflection of my driving habits. I am not reckless. I just need advice: Which one, if any should I contest? Go to traffic school? Should I even try?

I do not see any basis to contest either, at least according to your statements above. It seems like you cannot contest either violation. It makes little sense to start a fight that you cannot finish or win. I would simply pay the fines and request traffic school. Then move on in life.

Thank you. I thought perhaps the speeding ticket might have a chance of being reduced. Immediately after he handed me the ticket and walked back to his bike, the officer pulled over 2 cars at the same time. So I think that is a stretch of road that looks to be a easy pickings for traffic stops. As I am not able to attend more than one traffic school in 18 months, which one do you suggest I choose for the school? Does one offense carry more points than the other? I am not as concerned about the short term cost of payment the fines as I am about the long term effect on my record.

For Van Nuys speak with an attorney familiar with their procedures in dealing with both offenses. Get an attorney.

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY

Thank you! I will take that into consideration.

Contact Stan Alari a lawyer who handles traffic tickets all over California. Find him on line and look at his website victories. He has helped clients of mine in the past.

Thanks for the heads up!

I respectfully disagree with Mr. Hill, above. Although you do not present any information that leads me to believe that you have a strong defense, nearly every traffic ticket can be defended to some extent.

I am frequently able to negotiate traffic violations to non-point violations, regardless of the circumstances. My advice is to retain an experienced traffic attorney and fight both tickets.