2 marriage dates for Naturalization , which one is the right one to enter in the form N-400?

Asked over 1 year ago - Pompano Beach, FL

My friend and his wife were married twice and now applying for naturalization after both satisfying 5 year residency requirement.- If they will enter their 1st marriage date, it will conflict from her previous marriage which was legally annulled from their homecountry and was granted ONLY after their first marriage. If they will enter the 2nd date of their wedding, it might conflict with their previous greencard information where they submitted their 1st marriage certificate.Which date do they have to enter in N-400? and Can they submit an affidavit/ letter explaining those facts during the interview, If ask?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Best Answer

Answered . They have to be truthful, but that truth has to be carefully explained. Schedule a private consultation with a competent immigration attorney in your area.

2. Andrew William Clopman

2

1

Answered . I agree that they have to be honest and specific on the application.

Regardless, in a case like this, I would recommend that they meet with an immigration attorney and have the attorney evaluate the case and go over what may happen at the N-400 interview. N-400 interviews sometimes become opportunities for the government to review green card applications and applicants sometimes end up not only with a denial of the N-400 application, but with the issuance of a notice to go before the immigration judge. They could help avoid potential problems by having an attorney help them with the process and evaluate any risks.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

3

Answered . They have to tell the truth.

4. Gintare Grigaite

2

Answered . This certainly sounds like something an experienced immigration lawyer needs to go other and advice before anything is submitted to the immigration.