Skip to main content

2 marriage dates for Naturalization , which one is the right one to enter in the form N-400?

Pompano Beach, FL |

My friend and his wife were married twice and now applying for naturalization after both satisfying 5 year residency requirement.- If they will enter their 1st marriage date, it will conflict from her previous marriage which was legally annulled from their homecountry and was granted ONLY after their first marriage. If they will enter the 2nd date of their wedding, it might conflict with their previous greencard information where they submitted their 1st marriage certificate.Which date do they have to enter in N-400? and Can they submit an affidavit/ letter explaining those facts during the interview, If ask?

Attorney Answers 4


They have to be truthful, but that truth has to be carefully explained. Schedule a private consultation with a competent immigration attorney in your area.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


They have to tell the truth.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


This certainly sounds like something an experienced immigration lawyer needs to go other and advice before anything is submitted to the immigration.

Contact immigration lawyer Gintare Grigaite, Esq. of Grigaite & Abdelsayed, LLC at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey, for a consultation about your immigration case. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I agree that they have to be honest and specific on the application.

Regardless, in a case like this, I would recommend that they meet with an immigration attorney and have the attorney evaluate the case and go over what may happen at the N-400 interview. N-400 interviews sometimes become opportunities for the government to review green card applications and applicants sometimes end up not only with a denial of the N-400 application, but with the issuance of a notice to go before the immigration judge. They could help avoid potential problems by having an attorney help them with the process and evaluate any risks.

Mr. Clopman is a member of The Florida Bar practicing in South Florida. He focuses his practice on matters involving immigration and nationality law. His responses contain general information and they do not create an attorney-client relationship. Users should formally consult with an attorney to obtain an evaluation of the specific facts of a case.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics