2 DUI convictions - will this get my application for a NY Real Estate Salesperson license denied?

Buffalo, NY |

2 DUIs, one in DC and one in FL, the most recent was 2 years ago. Both issues have been taken care of and there is no restrictions on my driver's license. Will this be an issue when I apply for my NY real estate sales person license?

1. Ask the agency that issues the license.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. Please refer to information posted on the New York Department of State's website regarding the the real estate salesperson license:

http://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/re_salesperson/re_salesperson.html

From this page, there is a link to the relevant sections of the laws applicable to the real estate salesperson license.

This communication is intended only to provide general information. No attorney-client relationship is created.

3. I agree with attorney Wild. Access the link he provides from the NY DOS.

4. It will be discretionary with the Dept of State. If it were a felony, then a license as a Real Estate Broker or Salesperson would be denied, but the others will be considered, including moral character.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

DUI Topics